What is it?
The function of workforce in a club is responsible for resourcing, training and managing the volunteers and staff in a club.
Why is it important?
The club will not be successful without well resourced, trained and motivated individuals working towards the club achieving its potential.
What does it look like?
Those working in the core activity of Workforce should:
- Assess on a regular basis the volunteering and staffing needs of the club and plan a volunteer development strategy as part of the club’s development plan
- Co-ordinate and maintain the recruitment and training of volunteers and as necessary within the club, following best practice and policies supplied by RFL.
- Register the club with relevant volunteer agencies and match suitable volunteers to vacant positions.
- Induct and provide initial training and mentor volunteers as described in the RFL Volunteer Policy.
- Ensure regular contact is maintained with all volunteers and that the volunteers and staff feel, valued, needed and recognised.
- Maintain a database of current volunteers and staff.
- Collate recruitment and selection documentation and requests for references, entering all data into database
- Co-ordinate CRB checks
What skills are needed?
- Good written and spoken communication skills
- Positive and outgoing attitude and lead by example and motivate others.
- Good organiser and administrator paying attention to detail
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy and understanding
As you grow think about including more activities such as:
- Planning, developing and implementing a strategy for workforce management and development (including recruitment and selection, discipline, grievance, counselling, reward and recognition, contracts, learning and development, succession planning, performance management systems and workforce development planning)
- Issuing contracts of employment, job descriptions and terms and conditions
- Recording and collating sickness, absence, disciplinary and grievance records
- Implementing staff training needs analysis and producing training plans Developing performance reviews materials, process and documentation
- Keeping training records on a training database
- Creating an environment in the club for workforce training