School to Club links
The School Club Link (SCL) is one of eight strands of the PE, School Sport and Clubs Links Project, (PESSCL). The aims of the scheme are to:
- Build on or enhance the existing physical education and sports opportunities available to young people in schools.
- Increase the opportunities for participation in sport for both players and volunteers.
- Offer a high quality, lifelong sports experience that helps the retention of young people in sport beyond school leaving age.
- Improve club safety including child protection and risk management.
- Provide increased opportunities for schools to connect with the wider community in which they are located.
- Supply a vibrant and growing membership and volunteer base for clubs and national governing bodies.
Why does Rugby League want to be involved in the School Club Link Project?
- Develop school club links increasing participation
- Development and retention of volunteers
- Support club development
Roles and Responsibilities of Rugby Football league:
- The main roles within this process for RFL will be:
- To support County Sports Partnerships and School Sport Coordinators in the identification of appropriate clubs to target.
- To develop guidance, support and training for clubs.
- To establish and develop minimum operating standards for clubs (ClubMark) and to provide training and resources to enable them to meet these standards.
- To set targets and collect data in relation to the targets.
1. More accredited clubs
2. More links into School Sports Partnerships
3. More young people in accredited clubs
4. More Volunteers in clubs - 'Step in to Sport'
What needs to happen now?
All schools need to register the formal link with a club by completing the SCL form:
- Identify the local club
- Agree how you will work together
- Complete SCL agreement
- Send agreement to PDM and RL Services
- The school and club will receive an official certificate
- Continue to monitor progress the relationship
There are clubs throughout the country that are available to support schools who wish to play rugby league.
To find out which clubs are local to your school, visit the Rugby League Club Locator.