Club Finder

Find Your Nearest Rugby League Club


Hall keeps his cool as KR triumph in Easter Derby

18th of April 2014
Hall keeps his cool as KR triumph in Easter Derby

Craig Hall ensured a dramatic end to the Hull Derby with a last minute drop goal to seal a win for the Robins...

Craig Hall won the 221st Humberside derby for Hull KR with a drop goal 46 seconds from time that earned his side a thrilling 21-20 win over Hull FC.

The home team appeared to have squandered their chances when they let a 10-point lead slip but Hall kept his cool to see off his former employers in the most dramatic fashion.

It meant a second drop-goal defeat in three weeks for Hull, who looked shattered at the end after recovering from 20-10 down and would have won the game had Richard Whiting converted Fetuli Talanoa's 75th-minute try from the touchline.

Hall's intervention came as sweet relief to forward James Green, who had earlier dropped the ball a yard out from the line when a try - which would have killed off the visitors - was begging.

On balance Rovers just about deserved the verdict, which had looked like being a more convincing one thanks to two-try Graeme Horne's contribution amid a crazy second-half period that saw video referee Richard Silverwood called upon frequently.

Rovers' winning run in First Utility Super League now stands at four games, with this no doubt the sweetest and coming after they had initially trailed.

Hull peppered KR relentlessly for four straight sets early on and then, after Travis Burns was penalised for a dangerous tackle, Jordan Rankin saw a gap and went for it, touching down on the stretch.

The home response was a good one, with Burns immediately amending his error. He kicked a beautiful 40-20 and in the subsequent set he played a short ball to Kevin Larroyer who scored.

Both goals were missed, with Burns the guilty man for Rovers, but his boot was causing havoc again minutes later as his kick was shelled by Whiting and grounded by Neville Costigan. A knock-on was called as Whiting went up, though, and the scores remained level.

The persistence of Burns meant they would not be for long however. His scheming kept Hull under their own posts and, with four minutes to the break, the pressure told as Michael Weyman barrelled over from close range. Burns added the extras.

Parity returned four minutes after the restart when Liam Watts' offload found Josh Bowden and the substitute ran clear to score, with Whiting converting.

That was the start of a chaotic period which saw the video referee called three times in two minutes.

Rhys Lovegrove was deemed to have lost the ball and not had it stolen two-on-one by Hull's Jamie Shaul as he charged over, before Shaul himself was denied by a sublime Burns tackle when it looked for all the world that he would score off a Whiting pass.

Then Jacob Miller's wayward pass was picked up by Liam Salter and his break was topped up by Larroyer who went 50 metres to the line. Referee James Child thought he had seen something in back play, though, and Silverwood judged that Burns' hit on Miller - after he had passed - was worthy of scrubbing out the score.

But KR managed to channel their frustrations for the better and as the hour approached there was no doubt as Horne reached out to score against his old club and, after Burns kicked the goal, Horne caught Hull cold again as he kicked ahead of their right egde and chased ahead to score a quick-fire second.

Hull looked in bits and thought they had shipped another as Kris Welham went in, but Child went upstairs again and an offside was called against Omari Caro in the build-up. To add to the confusion, Hull then scored themselves as Danny Houghton burrowed in, with the score again approved by Silverwood. The conversion got Hull back to 20-16.

Green then shelled his chance before Yeaman went to the corner and put in Talanoa, with Whiting unable to upgrade the score.

That set up a stunning finish, which saw Burns off the money with a one-pointer before Hall hit the jackpot.

Related Video