Bowen keen on Wigan stay
Australian full-back Matty Bowen is keen to stay on for a second season with Wigan Warriors and has instructed his manager to open talks with the First Utility Super League champions.
The 32-year-old, who was recruited from North Queensland Cowboys in the winter to plug the gap created by the departure of Sam Tomkins, signed a 12-month contract, with an option for a second season, which he is now hoping to take up.
Bowen, who spent 15 seasons with the Cowboys, took some time to adjust to his new club and produced a disappointing performance in the World Club Challenge in Sydney but has recently started to show glimpses of the form that made him one of the star attractions of the NRL.
A hat-trick of tries in Sunday's Tetley’s Challenge Cup win over Hunslet Hawks took his tally for the year to eight in nine appearances.
"I had big shoes to fill when I first came here and I was disappointed with my first couple of games but I'm starting to find my feet now," he said.
"The family are settling in, which is a good part of me playing good footy. When they're happy, I'm happy.
"I'm keen to stay on. I just spoke to my manager last week and hopefully we can get a few things running and I can stay here."
Wigan were hoping the short-term signing of Bowen would help develop some of the club's promising youngsters who are not quite ready to play Super League every week and coach Shaun Wane has rotated the veteran full-back with 19-year-old Ryan Hampshire.
Dogged by knee injuries in the latter part of his career with the Cowboys, Bowen has been happy with the way Wane has been using him so far this season.
"We've been sharing the games around a bit," he said. "They knew about my past injuries and how to keep me on the field.
"Waney is pretty open about resting players and I'm happy to sit out and give Rocky a go. It's working so far."