Safeguarding & Protecting Children Course
It is the RFL’s vision to: -
- Ensure that all relevant individuals within the game, including, but not limited to, Coaches, Players, Match Officials and Club Welfare Officers, have confidence in their ability to protect and safeguard the welfare of every child within Rugby League.
- Ensure all adults within the game are able to recognise poor practice or intent and know how to report their concerns.
- Create a generation of Players who are confident to report poor practice or intent.
- Empower Rugby League Clubs to be competent and confident that they are contributing positively to children’s lives.
- Achieve a greater level of awareness of Safeguarding and Protecting Children issues throughout the game.
It is vitally important that individuals at clubs have the necessary skills, confidence and knowledge to enable them to feel confident to safeguard and protect children under their supervision. In order to facilitate this, the RFL have organised some Safeguarding and Protecting Children courses at clubs throughout the country. This course is recommended for all involved with coaching children and is a foundation course for CWOs before the Time To Listen course
The Course is free for registered CWOs and costs £15 for junior coaches etc. CWOs will be given priority for places on these courses.
1) There are a number of courses available at present, details can be found at the bottom of the page. A diagram explaining the new licensing procedure can be found here, this will help determine the urgency of attending an SPC course.
2) Club specific courses can be arranged, however bookings are currently closed until 2nd June 2014. If there are sufficient numbers within your club (15-20) the RFL will arrange a session just for your club. Please email email@example.com to register your interest in hosting a session. Alternatively you could run a shared course with a neighbouring club.
3) County Sport Partnerships organise Safeguarding and Protecting Children courses for non sport specific groups.
Langtree Park, St Helens (WA9 3AL) - Wednesday 30th April - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Shaw Cross Sharks ARLFC (WF12 7HP) - Wednesday 30th April - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Leigh Miners Rangers (WN7 4EF) - Wednesday 21st May - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, Castleford (WF10 2SD) - Wednesday 28th May - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Langtree Park, St Helens (WA9 3AL) - Wednesday 4th June - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
One Leisure Outdoor Centre, Cambridgeshire (PE27 6SJ) - Sunday 13th July - Time TBC
Shaw Cross Sharks ARLFC (WF12 7HP) - Wednesday 6th August - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Filton College, Bristol (BS34 7AT) - Wednesday 20th August - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Warrington Wolves Foundation (WA2 7NE) - Wednesday 27th August - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
KC Lightstream Stadium, Hull KR (HU9 5HE) - Wednesday 10th September - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Stanningley SARLC (LS13 1PA) - Wednesday 24th September - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
AJ Bell Stadium, Salford (M30 7LJ) - Wednesday 1st October - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
North Herts (Venue TBC) - Wednesday 8th October - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, Castleford (WF10 2SD) - Tuesday 4th November - 6:30pm - 9:30pm
In order to book a place on a Safeguarding and Protecting Children (SPC) Course please call RFL Administration direct on 0113 201 5464.
Alternatively you can book online at www.coachwisebooker.com
The course costs £15 per person (unless you are training to be a CWO in which case it is free of charge) CWO’s need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a reference number.
You can also source local courses in your area via the Sports Coach UK website, however these courses would not be Rugby League specific – please click here.